I’ve just been having a look back at what I last posted and it’s reminded me how much has changed. Morale is a bit low at the moment as it seems like the kitchen project is starting to drag on a bit so it’s good to look back and see how far we have come. As with all of the other big projects in this house, we suddenly found ourselves with a major deadline looming and not enough time to get everything ready but yesterday the kitchen units finally arrived!
We always knew they were due this week but the day itself was not confirmed until the end of last week. We had committed to doing all the painting ourselves to try and save some money and also wanted to put the floor down…BUT had booked to go away over Easter so the timings were not great. We hadn’t expected the plastering to take so long so that was our biggest issue as it was not completely finished and dry until the weekend before we were due to leave. In the end we’ve managed to get it all done with some help from the family and a few late nights of painting.
As the walls were being plastered the room suddenly began to take shape. We decided to put some sound proof boards up along the wall that adjoins our neighbours as they have a dog that likes to bark and so we’re hoping it well help the noise:
Next was the cornicing and the misting coat:
Since then The Husband has just been layering up the paint but the builder has neatened up the window sills and started to put the door frames back:
Last weekend, while we were away, The Husband’s dad came and fitted the floor which was an amazing help. He also covered it all up in protective plastic so we’ve not seen it without that but we’re really happy with how it is looking. The builder had made a start around the front door and merged it into what we had already put down in the living room but it now runs through the whole of the ground floor – we have both said that it makes the living room feel part of the house again now as it felt quite separate before. The builder has also fitted the doors properly so there is no risk of them scratching the floor anymore!
The downstairs loo is also coming along nicely:
Also, now that the ceilings are finished and there is no access needed from the back bedroom (our current kitchen!) the floor boards have all been put back down and the radiator has been moved to in front of the window which frees up the whole of the back wall:
The main kitchen is now all painted in Farrow & Ball’s All White Modern Emulsion and all we have left to do in there is paint the wood work:
As I write this The Husband is busy layering up the paint in the utility room but the units are here and can start to be fitted tomorrow: