PROJECT: KITCHEN/UTILITY ROOM

We’re now nearly a month into Project Kitchen Whoop Whoop!  I have been taking 100s of pictures but this is the first opportunity I have had to update the blog.  Overall things are going really well and we’re both very excited with how things are progressing.

We’re getting used to our new kitchen in the back bedroom and have so far survived without needing to buy a microwave but I’m not sure how much longer I will be able to resist one for.  The Husband and I are both trying to have our main/hot meal at work to keep the catering requirements at home as simple as possible but I have not been at work for the last few days which has complicated things a bit…

Anyway, the builders seem great and their attention to detail is just what we were looking for so they have been worth the wait.

Before they started, The Husband and his dad spent two days ripping out the old kitchen units to save us a bit of money.  They actually managed to take off some of the plasterboard too:

It was great to see the original fireplace and  chimney and it had a fabulous stone lintel but on the downside it was completely full of soot!  I was a bit worried about all the pipes hidden behind the units where the old water tank was.  We’ve known from the start that it was a bit of a nightmare behind there but there seemed to be pipes coming in from all directions:

IMG_8059

As well as clearing out the kitchen, The Husband and his dad also made a start on clearing out the old shower room which we are turning into a utility room and downstairs loo.

A door lead off from the kitchen into a tiny corridor with a door in front leading into the bathroom and then the back door was on the left leading outside.  The bathroom was ‘L’ shaped with the shower hidden down the bottom behind the door.  It had one remaining bay window but another by the sink had been blocked up by previous owners.  It was freezing cold and damp and while I was never much of a fan it has served us well and was the only source of heat when we first moved in so I used to stand under the shower for ages just to warm up!  It did look like this:

After The Husband and his dad had been at it it was looking like this:

Before the builders started we also drew out our plan for the kitchen on the walls:

They started on February 13th and started work on the walls between the kitchen door and the dining room initially:

They then started on neatening up the mess left by the old water tank:

All was going too well!  We had always known that the log burner flue might end up causing us an issue and unfortunately it has turned out to be worst case scenario.  We’ve looked into lots of options but it looks like we were given the wrong advice initially and we will now have to have an external flue fitted.  We knew it was potentially going to happen but it was still really annoying when we found out…:

IMG_8111

Work then started on clearing out the utility room and tearing down all the internal walls and the roof as well as blocking up the window:

I didn’t really understand what the plumb line was for but The Husband seemed to think it was important:

IMG_8122

I was really excited when I got home to discover the steel in the garden and the acro props in the kitchen:

It then looked like this:

Before the exciting full unveiling:

and we also had new light switches (with the old wall paper on show):

IMG_8143

We’ve actually been able to reduce the number of steels that we needed which we’re hoping will make the roof look a lot smoother:

And since then the focus has been on the utility room.  As of this evening, we have a nice high roof, with new windows in place and have been working out exactly where all the bathroom suite is going to go:

It has also confirmed that we need to change the direction of the back door.  Lots has happened but we’re still a long way off cooking in our own house.

Advertisements

About katerenovates

Hello and welcome to Kate Renovates - a blog about my attempts at renovation. The Husband and I have now been living in our house for four years and changes are being made slowly. It's an unloved Victorian townhouse that had been converted into two flats. Armed with a little bit of know-how and bags of enthusiasm, we have turned it back into one house and are transforming it into our home. Many of the original features remain but the flats had been rented out and so none of the rooms were in great shape. Luckily, it has a fully functioning kitchen and we recently finished the new bathroom and so things are getting more and more comfortable all the time. We're learning as we go and sharing our ups (and downs) on here as we try (fingers crossed) to bring the house back to life. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my blog or any tips you may have on our house project, so to contact me, please email katerenovates@gmail.com
This entry was posted in Work in progress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s