I look forward to the time when bank holidays are all about long walks and catching up with friends and family but at the moment they are mainly used for DIY and this weekend has been no exception.  The Husband’s dad came a few weeks ago and started to help make some fitted bookcases for the basement and he’s been back this weekend to move them along.

The basement had been finished to a point where we were using it daily and The Husband had a nice office down there but unfortunately it is currently back to being a building site.  As with all the rooms in this house it seems to be one step forward and then ten steps back but we’re getting close to another big transformation down there.

I’m always going on about the lack of storage in this house but I won’t be able to moan for much longer!  We have boxes of books located all around the house so it will be great to finally unpack them.  Not only that but it will also mean we can start clearing out the two rooms that are currently full of things that don’t have a permanent home (mainly kitchen equipment, DIY tools, books and our bikes).

The new bookcases are all in the ‘main’ room down in the basement (not the Husband’s office) and there are three units that have been built…

  1. Behind the door


2. Under the windows


3. Behind the sofa


None are 100% yet but this is where we have got to:

In addition, The Husband has set his heart on building his own personal bar.  I was a bit concerned that it seemed to be taking centre stage but thankfully all the other areas moved on a fair bit this weekend.  It’s hidden in one of the cupboards but this is where he has got to:


About katerenovates

Hello and welcome to Kate Renovates - a blog about my attempts at renovation. The Husband and I have now been living in our house for four years and changes are being made slowly. It's an unloved Victorian townhouse that had been converted into two flats. Armed with a little bit of know-how and bags of enthusiasm, we have turned it back into one house and are transforming it into our home. Many of the original features remain but the flats had been rented out and so none of the rooms were in great shape. Luckily, it has a fully functioning kitchen and we recently finished the new bathroom and so things are getting more and more comfortable all the time. We're learning as we go and sharing our ups (and downs) on here as we try (fingers crossed) to bring the house back to life. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my blog or any tips you may have on our house project, so to contact me, please email
This entry was posted in Work in progress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s