I have just been having a look back at how much we did in 2014 and compared it to what we ticked off the to-do list last year.
In 2015 we:
- Built the dressing room
- Installed the hearth and new wood burner in the basement
- Fitted the floor in the basement
- Designed and built furniture for the basement
- Decorated the living room which included painting the walls, fitting new blinds, moving and replacing all the plug sockets and laying the new floor
- Painted the inside of the front door and fixed all the new furniture
- Fitted a light in the hallway
- Bought bedroom furniture for the guest room and a sofa for the basement
At first glance it doesn’t really look that much which surprised me a bit. However, while the list is definitely shorter than previous years the things we have succeeded in doing seem to have had a bigger impact on our lifestyle and we’re that bit closer to turning the house into a home.
Finishing the dressing room so that we could free up the space in our bedroom and putting the floor down in the basement so that room was usable were definitely the two big changes. We use both rooms continuously and finally having a cosy space just to chill out has been lovely.
At the start of 2015 I wrote that in an ideal world we would have the following finished in the next 12 months:
- An office downstairs for The Husband –A BIG TICK (although there is still more work to do to make it 100%, he does at least have a dedicated zone to work in and is no longer working on his lap on the sofa)
- A staircase we’re 100% happy with – SADLY THERE IS NO PROGRESS HERE (this is being added back on to the to-do list for this year)
- A dressing room on the first floor – ANOTHER BIG TICK (we’re just waiting for the vanity top for the dressing table but it is on order)
- Unpacked our wedding presents that are still neatly wrapped in boxes in our bedroom! – SADLY THEY HAVE NOT MOVED!
Looking back at the year, these are some of my highlights from 2015:
We have transformed the living room. This is what the living room looked like just after we moved in:
this is The Husband working 24/7 in the run up to Christmas trying to get it finished:
and this is what it looks like now:
We’ve currently got a dining room table taking up the other side of the room but the walls are all painted, the floor is down and the new sofa arrived last week (it just needs some cushions now).
The basement has gone from this:
and the dressing room has gone from this:
So, in 2016 we need to try and get the kitchen done! We have got some designs already, have spoken to the structural engineer and are in talks with a builder so hopefully in the next 12 months work will finally start on it.
In the meantime we need to go back over the house and start finishing all the rooms off, tidying up some of our paint work, putting up our pictures and buying the soft furnishings and fixtures and fittings. Just before Christmas we got this light for the hall and it has really smartened the space up so I can’t wait to do the same in all the other rooms:
First on the list is the basement so we can get that space 100%