PROJECT: BASEMENT

In the last couple of months we have not been down to the basement very much and it is funny to think that when we first moved in this is where we spent 90% of our time.  Things are about to change though and once we start to use the space again the whole flow of the house will change.

The plan is still to use one of the rooms as The Husband’s office and the other as a TV room/library.  It will be amazing for The Husband to have a dedicated zone to work in as he works from home and currently moves from one spare space to the next.  It will also mean that at the end of the day he can shut the door and leave work behind.

Following the great flood, the insurance company retanked and decorated the whole space apart from the floor.  This post shows where we had got to and our hope that we’d have the floor down in a few months.  Unfortunately lots of other things took precedence and then the dressing room took far longer than expected but we’re now ready to transform the space.

We want this area to have a bit more of a contemporary feel than the rest of the house and the radiators that were installed as part of the insurance work reflect that.  As always, my priority is to make the space warm but the rooms are not neat squares and so there are a few odd walls jutting out for us to work with.  After lots of deliberation we have finally decided to install a log burner down there.  We kept changing our minds as we weren’t sure if it was the best use of the budget but the problem is that if we don’t do it now it will be much harder to do at a later date.  We also don’t want the rooms to get too hot (well The Husband doesn’t) and so we’ve decided to utilise the space in his office.  We can then leave the doors open to warm up the second room rather than having it directly next to where we will be sitting.

The space is directly below where we want the new oven to go and so the first company we spoke to said we would have to have an external flue which suddenly hiked up the cost and meant we’d have an ugly pipe running up the side of the house.  Luckily another company said it could be done and that they would rather do it internally.  We’ve had the chimneys tested and it is possible but due to the proposed kitchen plans we are a bit restricted on the size of the flue we can have.  We have finally chosen this one but are unlikely to install it until we start work on the kitchen so it can all be done at the same time.  We’ve gone for a dark grey finish with the log holder underneath.

But before that can come we need a hearth so that has been The Husband’s first job down there:

IMG_5846IMG_5852IMG_5860The next job is the floor itself.  We can not have solid wood floor down there due to the temperature fluctuations so that was the first decision made for us.  Originally we were going to have a light wood floor to ensure the space was as bright as possible but we had always said we wanted a dark wood on the ground floor.  After nearly 20 different samples of oak we suddenly decided we wanted the two floors to match and switched to mahogany instead.  I am still a bit unsure about the lacquered shiny finish as I don’t want it to look like a laminated floor but it’s arrived and we’re really happy with the quality of the packs we have opened.

Despite the floor being tanked The Husband still wanted to wrap the floor so he has spent the last few days doing that in preparation for the underlay and floor itself:

IMG_5862

IMG_5867 IMG_5868

I couldn’t even lift one box of the floor so felt sorry for The Husband who had to move it all in himself.  His Dad is coming next weekend and so the plan is to get as much done then as possible.

One final job that has been done is that all the switches and plug sockets have been changed to match the rest of the house:

IMG_5869

Advertisements

About katerenovates

Hello and welcome to Kate Renovates - a blog about my attempts at renovation. The Husband and I have now been living in our house for four years and changes are being made slowly. It's an unloved Victorian townhouse that had been converted into two flats. Armed with a little bit of know-how and bags of enthusiasm, we have turned it back into one house and are transforming it into our home. Many of the original features remain but the flats had been rented out and so none of the rooms were in great shape. Luckily, it has a fully functioning kitchen and we recently finished the new bathroom and so things are getting more and more comfortable all the time. We're learning as we go and sharing our ups (and downs) on here as we try (fingers crossed) to bring the house back to life. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my blog or any tips you may have on our house project, so to contact me, please email katerenovates@gmail.com
This entry was posted in Work in progress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to PROJECT: BASEMENT

  1. Pingback: PROJECT: BASEMENT | Kate Renovates

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s