PROJECT: CALAMINE

Given the fact we have pretty much been homeless for the past few weeks we have (or mainly The Husband has) spent every spare second working on the top floor bedroom so we could move in.  It is the first room we have completed and so it has been a bit of a learning curve as neither of us are experienced painters but we have got there.  Eventually we hope it will be a quest room but for the next few weeks it is going to be our room.

We have spent ages stripping everything back and replastering the ceiling, some of the walls and installing the little fire.  We made the decision not to replaster every wall as don’t want the house to look too ‘new’ but we have sanding back any bumps to try and make the finish as good as possible.  We had also stripped and sanded back all the woodwork.  This is where we had got to:

IMG_3911 - Copy

We spent quite a bit of time cleaning it all to remove as much dust as possible:

IMG_3909 - Copy

IMG_3898 - CopyI found just adding the base coat white paint was pretty exciting as it was the first bit of ‘decorating’ that we had done:

IMG_3912 - Copy IMG_3932 - CopyAgain, The Husbands eye for detail meant we added more finishing touches than I would have thought of including the ceiling rose and cornicing:

IMG_3962 IMG_3961

It was starting to look so different and homely that I was nervous about adding a colour but we had spent hours and hours choosing the themes of the different rooms that it made sense to stick to the plan and we’re really pleased we did.  We have gone for Farrow & Ball’s Calamine as it is not too girly and has a really nice depth to it:

IMG_3966 IMG_3969 IMG_3967We have also added the new window lock and handles:

IMG_3965

We have got paint all over the floor but the carpet is on order and so that will cover that up!  For now all that is left is for the electrician to come and put in the sockets and for us to clean up the tiles around the fireplace (which are black with dirt).

We don’t have much furniture and so we’ll be camping up there for a while yet with an old mattress and hanging rail but we have finally made the move upstairs!

Advertisements

About katerenovates

Hello and welcome to Kate Renovates - a blog about my attempts at renovation. The Husband and I have now been living in our house for four years and changes are being made slowly. It's an unloved Victorian townhouse that had been converted into two flats. Armed with a little bit of know-how and bags of enthusiasm, we have turned it back into one house and are transforming it into our home. Many of the original features remain but the flats had been rented out and so none of the rooms were in great shape. Luckily, it has a fully functioning kitchen and we recently finished the new bathroom and so things are getting more and more comfortable all the time. We're learning as we go and sharing our ups (and downs) on here as we try (fingers crossed) to bring the house back to life. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my blog or any tips you may have on our house project, so to contact me, please email katerenovates@gmail.com
This entry was posted in Work in progress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to PROJECT: CALAMINE

  1. Pingback: PROJECT: FINISHING TOUCHES | Kate Renovates

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s