This weekend has been a busy one in the house and it’s been great to hear the bangs and hammering of work going on in different places. We’d hoped to do all of the outside decorating ourselves (windows, barge boards, new guttering) but The Boyfriend has not been very well and is recovering from an operation.
We’ve therefore had to call in some help and have had two decorators in. They spent yesterday prepping all the woodwork and the plan is that by the end of today we should be all set to start painting the windows. We’ve then got a carpenter booked to come during the week to repair the ends of the barge boards so that we can finish off the outside wood work.
One of the biggest issues we have with the windows is that they have all been painted shut. It meant that during the winter there was a gap where they did not shut properly and then this summer we’ve not been able to open many to get a draught through. All in all they were not in a great condition. When we first moved in we were all set to replace them with modern sash windows but we quickly realised we could not afford to do that yet AND that we actually quite liked the old glass. They are all original and over time the glass has sunk a bit so in some of the windows you get a bit of a wobble.
It was therefore very exciting to actually get the windows open yesterday and after a lick of paint they will look great. In the majority of cases we’ve managed to get the top and bottom windows open but in some cases just the bottom (but we’re still working on those). There are just a couple that wont budge but in those rooms there are still several that do so it won’t matter from a ventilation point of view. The Boyfriend insisted on doing some too!