As part of our restoration project we have restored the fireplace in the living room and the master bedroom. The one in the living room has been used lots this winter but we’re yet to use the one upstairs.
On the top floor, we’re planning to turn the room into a guest room so have not lined the chimney but did want to install a little fireplace to add some character to the room. We discovered the tiles from the hearth when we ripped up the carpet and that made us more determined to put a fireplace back in. The Boyfriend managed to find a lovely little fireplace locally and it’s now been installed:
The hearth is not in the middle of the wall which is a bit odd but we decided to keep it where it was originally.
We’re currently in the process of stripping off the wall paper of the back bedroom and have discovered yet another filled in fireplace. We’ve yet to work out how this room will be designed but we could be on the hunt for another fireplace soon!
The carpentry excitement has continued and we are starting to get a feel for what the hallway will look like when all the work has been finished. It’s been one of my favourite bits of work so far and we have gone from looking like this:
The landing is also looking much better and has been fitted to look like this:
It’s starting to get quite exciting in the house again as lots of really small little things are making quite a difference. I’m sure that no-one else will be able to notice them but we know they are taking place!
For example, the doorway has been put back onto the main bathroom (we’re reusing the one that was there originally), the skirting board has been replaced in the entrance hall and the damaged woodwork around the kitchen door has been replaced:
We’ve also started to see progress on the staircase as new handrail posts have been installed on the first floor:
The first floor has been laid in the new bathroom and the window frames are back in place:
A new little cupboard has been built on the stairs:
And we’re very excited about the newel post we’ve found for the stairs. The Boyfriend had to trek all the way to Barnsley to rescue it from an old barn restoration but it’s so much better than any of the ‘new’ ones we’d seen for sale. We can’t wait to see it all in place properly!
2013 was a busy year for our little house project. We achieved a lot more than we thought we would and dealt with a few hiccups here and there too. As we enter 2014 we have:
- A roof that doesn’t leak
- Smart barge boards
- Newly painted windows
- A hallway (now that the doors/walls to both flats have been taken out)
- A lovely front door with lots of new door furniture
- An extra room on the top-floor
- A new boiler and heating system (that is fully installed and working)
- Radiators that are in, working and facing the right way
- Lights in the top two floors (so I don’t have to wait until the weekend to see what has been happening)
- The makings of a family bathroom now that the two rooms have been combined
- And my favourite of all is the new fireplace in the living room which has been put to work over the last few weeks
Here are some of our latest achievements:
We’ve plastered the bathroom wall and now have light switches and a temperature controller on it (the first photo was taken looking up the stairs while the second is from the landing)
We’ve replastered the bedroom ceiling on the top floor
We finally took the oven that was in our ‘bedroom’ to the dump
And, there is no longer a huge hole in the wall where the old boiler was.
Over the last few days the bathroom furniture has been starting to arrive so we’ve spent today measuring out where we need all the pipes to go. We’ve gone for a traditional Victorian style bathroom suite and it was fun to see it all in place.
The outside wall has also been replastered (so you can’t see in as you walk up the stairs!) and the first fix of electrical cables are all installed.
We were very excited to light the fire for the first time the other day, especially as the temperature is dropping and we have no central heating at the moment.
The ‘keeping warm’ project is well underway and the new radiators have also just arrived and are currently filling the living room: